A few weeks ago, our Family Voices interns embarked on another cooking adventure with the kids: baked chicken wings, mashed sweet potatoes and collard greens. They had a blast getting involved in the kitchen, cutting up the greens, mashing the potatoes, and making the marinade for the chicken. Check out the recipe below:
½ cup olive oil
9 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
30 chicken wings
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine olive oil, spices, and chicken in a large bowl, evenly coating the chicken
3. Arrange wings on a baking sheet.
4. Cook for 1 hour or until crisp and cooked through.
MASHED SWEET POTATOES:
15 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
3 teaspoons salt
½ cup brown sugar
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add in sweet potatoes. Cook until tender.
2. Drain pot and place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Mash well.
3. Add in butter, salt, and sugar, and combine well.
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon olive oil
5 large onion, chopped
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons pepper
15 cups chicken broth
5 pinches red pepper flakes
5 pounds fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until
tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens,
and fry until they start to wilt.
2. Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce
heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.